I have been composing and recording music and song for podcasts since 2007; here is a sample:
You can listen to some samples of my podcast music organised into Themes, Bed Tracks, Full Songs and Live Scores – or it’s all together in the above soundcloud playlist. Or visit my podchaser profile.
- Composer/songwriter and performer on The Allusionist Live: Your Name Here tour (10 dates in Australia and Aotearoa New Zealand) [July-Aug 2022]
- Composer on Another Russia (Samizdat Audio/Crooked Media) – theme song and bed tracks throughout the series [July 2022]
- Composed music for “Tranquillusionist: Big Things” [July 2022]; the Allusionist episode “The Egg’s Warning”, using percussion from sampling a Kinder egg [March 2022], and “The Tiffany Problem“, creating an 80s pop banger and a Gregorian chant [May 2022]
- Created the theme music for the Being Luminary podcast [March 2022].
- Created generative music with Lily Sloane for the Neutrinowatch episode “Gus by Gus: Musings and Magic“ and composed the music for “Gluteal Strategies” with Jeff Emtman.
- Created music for the Mubi podcast interview with Andrea Arnold (director of “Cow”). Mubi podcast (for which I wrote Seasons 1 & 2’s music) won the “Best Arts or Entertainment Podcast” at the Los Angeles Press Club National Arts & Entertainment Journalism Awards [Feb 2022]
- Released The World Outside My Window – the song with a million variations playing out on the Neutrinowatch podcast – as a digital single [Dec 2021].
- Producer/composer on Rigged, a new series by Amy Westervelt / Critical Frequency about the history of PR [Oct-Dec 2021].
- Composed music for the Shedunnit limited series, “Queens Of Crime At War“ [Oct-Nov 2021]
- Wrote the music and performed with the Allusionist live at the London Podcast Festival [September 2021].
- Created the music for Season One of the Mubi Podcast [June 2021]
- Created the theme for The Romcom Rewrite [March 2021].
- Co-created the pandemic Christmas song Don’t Wait For Me Beneath The Mistletoe with Helen Zaltzman and Jenny Owen Youngs, and co-created Zoom Christmas and Christmas Meat Sweats for the A Festive Hit For 2020 episode of The Allusionist [December 2020].
- Wrote the music for all 15 Episodes of Maddie’s Sound Explorers [season 1], a science podcast for young people. Each episode features a piece of music made from the sounds of science, engineering and nature we’ve discovered during the episode, and weaves in ideas that Maddie and our experts provided during the episode [August-November 2020].
- Contributed music to the 20,000Hz episodes about Audio Deepfakes (September 2020) and John Cage’s 4’33” [January 2020], where the music was used in the subsequent mainstage TED talk – both of which I wrote and produced on.
- Audiocraft Podcast Festival – created a mashup of (mostly Australian) podcast themes for their opening night event [July 2020].
- Wife on Earth – wrote a song about The Bookseller Crow, my favorite independent bookshop [July 2020].
- I wrote theme music for the Zoom podcast – a movie podcast which focuses on a different genre each episode, so the theme song is different each time: spaghetti western, 50s scifi, zombie movie, classical, funk, Motown, Hot Club jazz… [March 2019-June 2020]
- Wrote the theme and “hold music” for Vera Chok and Charles Adrian’s “Vera and Adrian are working from home” livestream series [May 2020]
- Wrote scores for episodes of The Tranquillusionist, episodes of the show designed to be particularly soothing and calming [March 2020]
2019 and earlier
- Created an original soundtrack for The Holiday Season, a podcast about the Nancy Meyers film The Holiday, inspired by Hans Zimmer’s score [December 2019].
- I composed the music for Veronica Mars Investigations [2019-2021], apart from the stuff that the wonderful Jenny Owen Youngs wrote.
- Wrote the song Apple Tree for the end of The Family Tree – a magic realist drama .
- I recorded the Blockchain Explainer Song and Ethereum for Episode 2 of ZigZag, and their end of Season One reprise, which was written up in the New York Times in 2018 .
- I composed and recorded the score for The Allusionist “Eclipse“, inspired by Bonnie Tyler’s Total Eclipse of the Heart , and created the score for “Continental” using items in a Moab Bed and Breakfast 
- Zig Zag (songs, 2018)
- The 90 Minutes or Less Film Festival (theme, 2018)
- The Family Tree (songs, 2017, 2019)
- The Wire Stripped (theme – arranger, singer, musician, 2017)
- Getting Better Acquainted (song, 2017)
- Sex Chat With Vera Chok (theme, 2017)
- Mortified (vocal, 2016)
- The Beef and Dairy Network (song, 2016)
- Hey It’s OK (theme – Glamour Magazine UK, 2016)
- Why Are Computers? (theme, 2013)
- Brain Train (theme, 2012)
- Pappy’s Flatshare Slamdown (song, 2011)
- Sound Women (theme, 2011)
- The Global Lab (theme, 2011)
- Bright Club (theme, 2010)
You can hear instrumental versions of my music on recent episodes of The Allusionist – as well as the theme tune I created.
Live Podcast Music and Performance
- The Allusionist Live: Your Name Here [Australia and Aotearoa New Zealand, 2022]: composer, musician, singer, performer, tour manager and writer on show.
- The Allusionist Live [US, Canada, UK, Australia and Aotearoa New Zealand, 2017-2019] ; composer, musician, singer, performer, tour manager and writer on show.
- Radio Diaries – Dropped Wrench with Joe Richman [Hearsay Audio Festival, 2019; NYC and Washington DC, 2019]; composer and musician.
- The Bugle [US, 2018]; arranger and musician.
- Radiotopia Live [US, 2018]; musician.
- Third Coast International Audio Awards [Chicago, USA, 2017]; composer, MD and musician.
- 99% Allusional [with 99% Invisible and The Allusionist, USA, 2017]; composer and musician.