I have been composing and recording music and song for podcasts since 2007, here is a sample:
- Wrote the music for all 15 Episodes of Maddie’s Sound Explorers [season 1], a science podcast for young people. Each episode features a piece of music made from the sounds of science, engineering and nature we’ve discovered during the episode, and weaves in ideas that Maddie and our experts provided during the episode (August-November 2020).
- Contributed music to the 20,000Hz episodes about Audio Deepfakes (September 2020) and John Cage’s 4’33” (January 2020), where the music was used in the subsequent mainstage TED talk – both of which I wrote and produced on.
- Audiocraft Podcast Festival – created a mashup of (mostly Australian) podcast themes for their opening night event (July 2020).
- Wife on Earth – wrote a song about The Bookseller Crow, my favorite independent bookshop (July 2020).
- I write theme music for the Zoom podcast (March 2019-June 2020 and onwards) – a movie podcast which focuses on a different genre each episode, so the theme song is different each time: spaghetti western, 50s scifi, zombie movie, classical, funk, Motown, Hot Club jazz…
- Wrote the theme and “hold music” for “Vera and Adrian are working from home” livestream series (May 2020)
- Wrote scores for episodes of The Tranquillusionist, episodes of the show designed to be particularly soothing and calming (March 2020)
- Created an original soundtrack for The Holiday Season, a podcast about the Nancy Meyers film The Holiday, inspired by Hans Zimmer’s score (December 2019).
- I composed the music for Veronica Mars Investigations (2019-), apart from a little bit that the wonderful Jenny Owen Youngs wrote.
- Wrote the song “Apple Tree” for the end of The Family Tree – a magic realist drama.
- I recorded the “Blockchain Explainer Song” and “Ethereum” for Episode 2 of ZigZag, and their end of Season One reprise, which was written up in the New York Times in 2018.
- In June 2017 I composed and recorded the score for The Allusionist’s Eclipse, inspired by Bonnie Tyler’s Total Eclipse of the Heart:
- and in May 2016 created the score for Continental using items in a Moab Bed and Breakfast:
- Zig Zag (songs, 2018)
- The 90 Minutes or Less Film Festival (theme, 2018)
- The Family Tree (songs, 2017, 2019)
- The Wire Stripped (theme – arranger, singer, musician, 2017)
- Getting Better Acquainted (song, 2017)
- Sex Chat With Vera Chok (theme, 2017)
- Mortified (vocal, 2016)
- The Beef and Dairy Network (song, 2016)
- Hey It’s OK (theme – Glamour Magazine UK, 2016)
- Why Are Computers? (theme, 2013)
- Brain Train (theme, 2012)
- Pappy’s Flatshare Slamdown (song, 2011)
- Sound Women (theme, 2011)
- The Global Lab (theme, 2011)
- Bright Club (theme, 2010)
You can hear instrumental versions of my music on recent episodes of The Allusionist – as well as the theme tune I created.
Live Podcast Music and Performance
- The Allusionist Live (US, Canada, UK, Australia and New Zealand, 2017-2019) ; composer, musician, performer, tour manager and writer on show.
- Radio Diaries – Dropped Wrench with Joe Richman (Hearsay Audio Festival, 2019; NYC and Washington DC, 2019); composer and musician.
- The Bugle (US, 2018); arranger and musician.
- Radiotopia Live (US, 2018); musician in house band.
- Third Coast International Audio Awards (Chicago, USA, 2017); composer, MD and musician.
- 99% Allusional (with 99% Invisible and The Allusionist, USA, 2017); composer and musician.