Podcast teaching and training
- With Sarah Myles, programmed the 2021 Podcast Maker Weekend, featuring 12 sessions on audio making – from introductions to podcasting through pitch sessions and sessions on directing audio drama, comedy, and telling personal stories. I ran a session on Music and Sound Design – my first at the festival! I set up the Podcast Maker Weekend in 2017 to run as part of the London Podcast Festival and provide affordable sessions delivered by the best talent in UK audio, and international producers, hosts and critics. [September 2021]
- Taught on a half-day Introduction to Podcasting course for the AHRC, the UK’s Arts and Humanities Research Council [March 2021]
- Delivered a Music in Podcasting class for Simon Fraser University (Vancouver, CA) [March 2021]
- Curated a series of weekly Podcast Maker Livestreams (April-July 2020) to give international podcasters (in the UK, Italy, France, Australia, USA, and Canada) a platform for sharing ideas.
- Music and Podcasting at the Vancouver Podcast Festival (November 2019)
- Taught two workshops on Podcasting for BIMM London’s Music Journalism BA (March 2019).
- Down With Marimba at Hearsay audio festival, Kilfinane, Ireland, April 2019
- Under the Hood with the Allusionist, Audiocraft 2019, Sydney, Australia
- 10 Years of Podbiz with Helen Zaltzman and Martin Zaltz Austwick, PRX Podcast Garage, Boston, USA, 2017
- Podcasting for scientists, lecture class, University College London (2015-2017).
I have a Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning in Higher and Professional Education from the University of London’s Institute of Education, and worked as Senior Lecturer in Spatial Data Science and Visualisation in the Bartlett Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis at UCL (June 2011 – September 2017) teaching and designing and running modules and a masters degrees I have teaching experience going back to running Physics tutorials during my doctorate (2002), and have been regularly teaching lecture courses to undergraduates and graduates since 2008.
Previous research interests
Here are some useful links for finding out more about my research:
Hannah Fry and I voiced (and I scored) this video about CASA’s work in 2016:
Here I am in 2015 talking about data visualisation (with thanks to Kevin Biderman, full details in the vimeo page):
And here I am talking about cities and data for a UCL lunch hour lecture in December 2012:
Here is a talk I did on eggs at the Boring Conference in May 2014. I’m not an egg physicist, I just like egg cookery:
Prior to working in this field, I have been a medical laser physicist and worked in the field of Quantum Computing. I think interdisciplinary work is inevitable whenever we start to to think about interesting problems that we might want to work on:
(that’s me at TEDx LSE in March 2013).
If you’d like to hear about some of my medical physics work, here’s a brief summary from 2009: