Podcast teaching and training
- Founder and lead of Podcast Maker Weekend at the London Podcast Festival (2017-2019)
- Taught two workshops on podcasting for BIMM London’s Music Journalism BA (March 2019).
- Down With Marimba at Hearsay audio festival, Kilfinane, Ireland, April 2019
- Under the Hood with the Allusionist, Audiocraft 2019, Sydney, Australia
- 10 Years of Podbiz with Helen Zaltzman and Martin Zaltz Austwick, PRX Podcast Garage, Boston, USA, 2017
- Podcasting for scientists, lecture class, University College London (2015-2017).
I have a Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning in Higher and Professional Education from the University of London’s Institute of Education, and worked as Senior Lecturer in Spatial Data Science and Visualisation in the Bartlett Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis at UCL (June 2011 – September 2017) teaching and designing and running modules and a masters degrees I have teaching experience going back to running Physics tutorials during my doctorate (2002), and have been regularly teaching lecture courses to undergraduates and graduates since 2008.
Previous research interests
Here are some useful links for finding out more about my research:
Hannah Fry and I voiced (and I scored) this video about CASA’s work in 2016:
Here I am in 2015 talking about data visualisation (with thanks to Kevin Biderman, full details in the vimeo page):
And here I am talking about cities and data for a UCL lunch hour lecture in December 2012:
Here is a talk I did on eggs at the Boring Conference in May 2014. I’m not an egg physicist, I just like egg cookery:
Prior to working in this field, I have been a medical laser physicist and worked in the field of Quantum Computing. I think interdisciplinary work is inevitable whenever we start to to think about interesting problems that we might want to work on:
(that’s me at TEDx LSE in March 2013).
If you’d like to hear about some of my medical physics work, here’s a brief summary from 2009: